[gothic-l] Re: Gothic race?

?????? ???????? vegorov at IPIRAN.RU
Wed Jul 30 05:41:08 UTC 2003

Hi Dirk!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I agree entirely that we have
"to be precise with the terminology".
Accordingly, let us make precise some
of your terms.

You stated that "the Goths...
were East Germanic not North Germanic".

As far as I know, the North Germanic
language separated from the Germanic
community not earlier than in the 8th c.
Further, what was a difference between
General Germanic and East Germanic in
the 2nd-4th cc. when some wielbark tribes
migrated from Vistula to the south?
Which linguistic documents or attestations
do we have on that period? Again,
as far as I know, a few scripts in the Gothic
(nor General Germanic!) language of 5th-6th cc.
How can we affirm the Goths of 5th-6th cc.
to belong to either East or North or any other
Germanic branch? It seems just meaningless.

And again, again, again... Since which moment
can we surely use the term "Goths"?
Were migrating wielbark tribes of the 2nd-4th cc.
Goths or the Goths (as a nation or a polity)
have arisen later (e.g. in the Hermanaric's times)?
I suppose we cannot even be absolutely sure that
the migrating wielbark tribes of the 2nd-3rd cc.
spoke a Germanic language (no matter General, East,
West, or North) though this assumption looks most
probable.

Regards,

Vladimir