[gothic-l] Re: Christensen's book on the Goths

Ravi Chaudhary ravichaudhary2000 at YAHOO.COM
Mon Jun 16 21:38:41 UTC 2003

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "faltin2001" <dirk at s...> wrote:
 As I said, this is all exploratory for me, and I quite readily defer
to your greater knowledge.

On Clans names, may I suggest, you look at the Files section of:

 And see the Files Jat Clans: Jat Clan names in various countries "

 I have posted about six of seven files.

 I would like your input.

"I don't think we know any Gothic clan names apart from the Amals and
Balths. "

 I can see" Amal" coming from "Mal'. In the Iranian context, the `A'
is often added.
We do find variants of  ` Mal' as Mal, Mull, Malhi. Malli."

 Balths -. Could also be `Bal' with the suffix `th"

 Bal is a very famous and large clan; spread all over the North,
including what is now Pakistan and Afghanistan.

 Variants of it are Bal, Baliyan.

Dirk, I am running into all this material, and I cannot simply
dismiss it out of hand.

Ravi

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM