[gothic-l] Fwd: Konow

Ravi Chaudhary ravichaudhary2000 at YAHOO.COM
Mon Jun 23 20:00:38 UTC 2003

--- In JatHistory at yahoogroups.com, "Sunny" <sunnytjatsingh at y...>
wrote:
Hi Ravi, please note my major mistake, I finally found the time to
read it carefully – the Junnar Inscription was dated 2nd Century A.D.
not 150 B.C.  Here is part of my synopsis on the article by Konow,
you can post it on the Germanic groups:

In Panjabi language, the plural word for Jat is Jatan or Jutan; i.e.
Jatan De Putra, means Son's of Jats.  One would think this form seems
to represent a palatalized form of Gut or Gutan, which opens up
lexical similarities to a tribe called Gutones, who traded in amber,
per Pytheas, and situated near the mouth of the Vistula river.
This leads us to an interesting article written by Sten Konow,
entitled "Goths in Ancient India" in which he makes reference to some
inscriptions found at Junnar in Western India dated around the second
century A.D. (Konow 1912: 380).  These inscriptions make reference to
a people characterized as "Gatana" and "Gatas", of whom Konow takes
to be Goths based on the personal names attached to these – Irila and
Cita (Konow 1912).
Konow takes the name Irila to be a regular Gothic form for Swedish
Erila, Anglo-Saxon eorl, English earl, Old Norse jarl, Old Saxon erl,
and connected with the ethnic name erula or heruli (Konow 1912: 380-
381).   This etymology seems reasonable.  The name Cita, however,
somehow, Konow translates to Helda, which appears to be somewhat of a
stretch (Konow 1912: 381).  He summarizes with, "Both Irila and Cita
are characterized as gatas, and this latter word is the regular
Indian form corresponding to Latin goti, the Goths (Konow 1912:
381).  He continues, "The Goths must accordingly have called
themselves gutans or gutos and not gotans or gotos (Konow 1912:
382)."  He is further convinced that the Indian "Gata" must have been
inscripted correctly, as "Indians have always been keen observers of
sounds
and those who wrote the word gata in the Junnar inscriptions
can only have heard the original denomination from the mouth of these
gatas themselves (Konow 1912: 383)."
Now it is unlikely that the Goths proper would have migrated, even as
traders, to India by pushing their way through Central Asia, as Konow
suggests (Konow 1912: 385).  However, according to Shore, the Goths
had trading networks as far as Samarkhand (Shore 1906: 55), so it is
possible, though not likely that the Goths could have ventured into
India.  It is even less conceivable that the Goths came through sea-
faring contact from the Indus delta.  What is more reasonable is that
the "gatas" of Konow are actually the Getae, rather the Massagetae,
of Central Asia, who probably existed in the form of Saka Satraps of
India, or even members of Da Yuezhi/Yuti (Massagetae (Knobloch 2001))
or Kushan tribe, and, therefore, generically speaking the "gatas"
must have been a tribe of the Indo-Scythians of the Greek writers.
If we look towards the later Alani, we know from Marcellinus that
they were once the Massagetae, and their territories flowed all the
way to India (Rolfe 1956).  It is therefore, more plausible that the
Massagetae were responsible for those inscriptions found at Junnar
and that these "Gata" are now represented by the Indian Jats who live
not to far from that region today.  Satya Shrava, in his 1981 work,
Sakas in India, said, "The Jats are none other than the Massagetae
(Great Getae) mentioned in Diodorus as an off-spring of the ancient
Saka tribe.... a fact now well-known (Shrava 1981: 2-3)."
So what does Konow's view lead us to?  His view of the Goths being
known as "Gutans" seems fairly strong, as Pytheas, Ptolemy, Tacitus
and Pliny refer to a tribe near the Vistula river in modern Poland as
Gutones, Guttones, and Gothones (Konow 1912).  Though not proven,
these Gutones may very well be represented by the Wielbark
archaeological complex, see Christensen (Christensen 2002).  Konow
writes, "If I am right in identifying the gatas of the Junnar
inscriptions with the Goths, the only theory which will suit the
facts is, I think, that the various forms goti, Gotou, gatas, have
all been taken from some Gothic dialect which agreed with most
Germanic tongues in changing an old u to o when and a or o occurred
in the following syllable (Konow 1912: 383)."  And further Konow is
inclined to believe that his Indian Goths actually spread out from
their location on the Vistula eastwards towards India, thus the
Gutones of early classical writers, who were situated on the Vistula
were the same as the Indian Gatas.  Now the actual case may be quite
the other way around, or perhaps simultaneous movement.  I incline to
take Konow's Gatas to be the Massagetae, who were also classified in
later times as Sarmatians (McGovern 1939).  As we know that Poland
was once termed Sarmatia – could this not represent the continuity of
the Massagetae, at least in part, from Poland eastward to Central
Asia, and quite possibly to Indo-Scythia?  In The Sarmatians,
Sulimirski summarizes the contributions of the Sarmatians:

At different points in time their [Sarmatians] peoples and tribes
were driven into almost every western European country, and they were
forced eastwards as far as China.  The descendents of those who came
to England in AD 175 probably still live somewhere in the country

Little remains to remind the modern world of their existence - the
Ossetinians
.the names of a few Slavonic peoples
 some European place-
names
.a vague tradition of Sarmatian origin lingering among sections
of Polish nobility
(Sulimirski 1970: 202-203).

Can we add the pro-generators of the Goths to the list?  Christensen
writes, "Ptolemy has positioned them near the Vistula, even
localizing them precisely on the right bank.  So might this mean that
he did not see them as Germanic at all, but rather as Sarmatian?
(Christensen 2002: 40)."  This suggestion may be of some weight.  The
Alans, a late Sarmatian tribe, certainly spread to India, and we know
they were once the Massagetae (Rolfe 1956), could the Gutones and
the "Gatana" of Konow, who are represented today as Jats of India, be
the tail ends of the same people?  This needs future examination.
Until then we are left wondering about Arnold Toynbee's statement in
his  A Study of History:

It may not be fantastic to conjecture that the Tuetonic-speaking
Goths and Gauts of Scandinavia may have been descended from a
fragment of the same Indo-European-speaking tribe as the homonymous
Getae and Thyssagetae and Massagetae of the Eurasian Steppe who are
represented today by the Jats of the Panjab (Toynbee 1934: 435).

Best Wishes,

Cited:

Ammianus Marcellinus. Translated by J.C. Rolfe, Volumes 2 & 3.
Cambridge, Massachusetts. Harvard University Press: 1956.

Christensen, A.S. Cassidorus Jordanses and the History of the Goths
Studies in a Migration Myth. Copenhagen.  Museum Tusculanum Press:
2002.

Knobloch, E. Monuments of Central Asia. London. I.B.Tauris & Co Ltd.:
2001.

Konow, S. "Goths in Ancient India." In The Journal of the Royal
Asiatic Society of Great Britain and Ireland. London.  Royal Asiatic
Society: 1912.

McGovern, W.M. The Early Empires of Central Asia. Chapel Hill, North
Carolina. University of North Carolina Press: 1939.

Shore, T. Origin of the Anglo-Saxon Race.  London. Kennikat Press:
1971, first published in 1906.

Shrava, S. The Sakas in India. New Delhi. Pranava Prakashan: 1981.

Sulimirski, T. The Sarmatians. New York. Frederick A. Prager
Publishers: 1970.

Toynbee, A. A Study of History. Vol. 2., London. Oxford University
Press: 1939, First Published in 1934.
--- End forwarded message ---

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM