[gothic-l] Re: Fwd: Konow

Tore Gannholm tore.gannholm at SWIPNET.SE
Wed Jun 25 08:42:13 UTC 2003

>The Goths had nothing whatsoever to do with India or any indian
>people. I cannot understand why anybody in his right mind would want
>to follow this ludicrous theory up. Please read some of the more
>recent major historical works outlining the history of the Goths,
>which should make it perfectly clear that any presumed link to India
>is nonsense.
>
>Dirk

Dirk,

You always stress what they are not. But what are they.

As far as I understand the Goths are considered a Germanic people,
but how did they become a Germanic people. Was the Wilbark culture a
Germanic people?

Who were they related to? As you insist they were not related to any
Scandinavian people. Still some of the Scandinavian peoples are
considered Germanic people.

You have earlier written:
"The date (middle of 1st millennium BC) for the emergence of the
Germanic people derives from both linguistics and archaeology. By
that time the first Germanic sound-shift that basically created
Germanic was completed. Also, the Iron Age started in northern Europe
from around 600BC. It is believed that the upheavals of the Iron Age
let to the emergence of the Germanic people and the rapid spread of
Germanic over a large area in Northern Europe. Older attmpts to trace
the Germanic people back to the early Bronze Age (ca. 2000BC) have no
basis and we cannot speak of Germanic people before the middle of the
first century BC."

Tore

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM