[gothic-l] Of introductions and dictionaries...

lama_nom penteract at FSMAIL.NET
Tue Jun 10 04:21:31 UTC 2003

Hails, hail, hi, hey (hey-ho) & hello,

I've just joined the Gothic List, so here's a short introduction to
me, amateur Gothophile of this parish...  My main interest, or focus,
at the moment is the language.  I'm not very widely read in the
history or archeology yet, I'm afraid.  Other interests of late:
fractals, 4-dimensional polytopes, dreams, interactive fiction and
the classical Art of Memory.  Studied Old English and Old Norse at
University a few years ago, and have been indulging in occasional
bouts of Gothic ever since.  Right now, I'm particularly excited to
discover that the Wulfila project is up and running and searchable
online - I guess that's old news here.

I was also rather amazed to find that the whole of Gerhard
Koebler's "Gotisches Woerterbuch" is now publicly available
online!!!!  Does everyone know about this?  I can still hardly
believe it.

http://www.koeblergerhard.de

(Look under publications, for this and dictionaries of several other
early Germanic languages.  My appologies if this repeats earlier
posts.)

Which kind of leads me to the topic of this first message.  You see,
when I found all these online Gothic wonders I was in the middle of
trying to make an English-Gothic glossary of my own.  At first this
was based entirely on Wrights "Gothic Grammar", later supplemented by
Braune & Helm's "Gotische Grammatik", together with words
reconstructed from personal names gathered from various books, and a
few deduced from borrowings into Romance and Slavic languages.  Then
I started adding words I found while reading the online corpus - and
finally there was Gerhard Koebler's dictionary - which of course
meant I had to revise the whole thing.  This actually has an English-
Gothic appendix, but I decided to carry on anyway, since mine will
have more grammar, hopefully making it handier for anyone wanting to
actually write (or talk?) in Gothic.  Also, I've got this far, I want
to get something finished.  Also, the more the merrier!

Do these sound like mad ravings?  Or is anyone interested?  Has it
been done before?  Is anyone (or even everyone) else out there
working away at the same thing?  If anyone has/is doing the same, I'd
be very curious to know what sort of approach you've taken.

I'm not sure how long till it's finished.  Maybe never, but I would
like to get a prototype up an running some time in the next few
weeks, before I run out of steam (if that's not  too ambitious) -
even incomplete and imperfect it might still be of some use to
someone.  I'm sure it will be very imperfect at first, so I'll just
call it a prototype, but, well, you can all be the judge of that.

best wishes,

Lama Nom
(I'm up to about 4600 entries, by the way).

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM