[gothic-l] Gothic military terms

iainralph iain_ralph at IPRIMUS.COM.AU
Mon Jun 16 12:17:50 UTC 2003

Hi,

Thanks for the earlier responses on this topic.  Since then we have
come across another term that may of use to us:

Jaikans    similar to Jiuka - cognate of the German Jaeger??

Can anyone comment?

We have decided on "Andbahtos" as the most appropriate term for the
elite 300 or so retainers surrounding the
Reiks/Draughtins/Thiudans/Hertoga

I am also still looking for a Gothic term for "cavalry"
or "horseman" - any suggestions.

Finally (off topic, sorry) any ideas on the Hunnic and Alanic terms
for "horseman" or "warrior"?

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM