[gothic-l] Re: Arianism

Hieromonk Maximos frmaximos at MONASTERY.ORG
Fri Jun 27 00:03:16 UTC 2003

>  >unknown)
>>   > >
>>>   >Hails,
>>>   >   Does anyone know, or have any idea, of what Goths may have
>>called the
>>>   >Arian and Orthodox churches?  Besides "Us" and "Them", I mean.
>>Surely the
>>>   >Gothic church wasn't called "Arian' in ancient times? Or was it?
>>>   >Thank you all for your input,
>>>   >Graig
>>>
>>>   Surely the Gothic church was known as Arian! After all arianism
>>derives its
>>>   name from Arius... Lets also not forget that in the time of
>>Wulfila, there
>>>   were three different christian movements (Catholicism, Arianism and
>>Audianism)
>>>   across the Danube, and that was even before the majority of the
>>goths were
>>>   christian. From early on even the common Goth must have known that
>>there
>>>   were many variteties of christianity, and also which of them he was
>>converted
>>>   to.
>>>
>>>   /Mikael Bynke
>>>

>>I think it is not quite right to speak of a 'Gothic church'. The
>>Arian church, which as Mikael rightly said derives its name from the
>>Roman bishop Arius, was also a Roman church. I am not sure if the
>>contemporaries would have really used the term Arian though. Both
>>churches regarded themselves as 'the one and true church' of course.
>>The Arian church is also known by the name homophysitic church if I
>>remember correctly. In general, the real difference between Arianism
>>and Catholoicism is marginal.
>>
>>Dirk
>>

>During the 4th century there were big fights between the Arian and
>the Ortodox churches (The Catholic line I think came later)
>
>During some time the Arian line was the official Roman line.
>
>The difference was documented in the Church meeting in Nicea 325
>
>Tore
>--

Ariansim was the doctrine of the presbyter Arius of Alexandria, who
made the claim that Christ was a creature of God, and not the Son of
God, but some sort of a super angel. The great patriarch of
Alexandria,  Athanasius rejected this doctrine and over the next 40
years opposed it successfully.  Arianism was spread to the west by
Ulfias, who apparently did not " get the memo" that Arianism was
declared heretical at the Council of Nicea.  The simpler doctrine of
Arianism appealed to the less sophisticated tribes of the West, who
tended to be baffled by the Orthodox doctrine that Christ "proceedeth
from the Father, before all Ages". Which is mystical and
metaphysically more ungraspable.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM