[gothic-l] Re: GOTHIC ALPHABET OF WULFILA-BASIS FOR CYRILLIC

faltin2001 dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Mon Jun 30 06:53:05 UTC 2003

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Francisc Czobor" <fericzobor at y...>
wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Wulfila's alphabet can not be the exclusive base for Cyrillic.
> The latter looks to be derived rather from the Greek alphabet, with
> it's Byzantine pronounciation.
> Some arguments:
> - the Cyrillic letter for [f] is derived obviously from the Greek
> letter 'phi' (pronounced already in Byzantine times as [f]); the
> Gothic letter for [f] is more similar to the Latin one;
> - the Greek letter 'ypsilon' is read [w] in Gothic, but [u] in
> Cyrillic;
> - there is no trace of Wulfila's letter for [u] (taken from Runic)
in
> Cyrillic;
> - Wulfila's letter for [r] looks more similar to the Latin R than
> the Greek and Cyrillic P;
> - the Greek letter 'eta' is found in Cyrillic with it's Byzantine
> pronounciation [i]; there is no such letter in Wulfila's alphabet;
> - the Letter O, found in Greek, Latin and Cyrillic alphabets,
doesn't
> exist in the script of Wulfila. Here the short [o] sound is
> written "au", whereas for the long [o:] sound is used a letter
> derived either from the Greek 'omega' or from a Runic letter.
> These are only some examples.
>
> Francisc
>
> GUTANI WIHAILAG

Hi Francisc,

I see that you write 'GUTANI WIHAILAG'. Did you know that the latest
investigation on the original ring suggests that the best reading of
the inscription is 'gutane jer weih hailag', which is a blessing for
a good year, with 'gutane' meaning 'good' . Hence, the name of the
Goths is probably not on the ring.

Cheers

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM