[gothic-l] (unknown)

matthew carver me at MATTHEWCARVER.COM
Thu Mar 27 00:39:31 UTC 2003

hails greg-

It may be possible. The horse-riding tribes of the steppes, Scythians
and Sarmations seem to have loaned a few words to germanic languages in
general, or perhaps they came through Gothic (s.t. via Celtic, as marah-
'horse', cf. Green, Language & History...): paida 'leather coat' (< ?
riding coat), path- 'path (orig. a specific 'Scythian' path?), faths
'leader' (exhibiting the decimal model of the Persian/Iranian military
grouping). In Green, p. 81: "the possible presence of Gothic (or Gepid)
loanwords in Rumanian." (ref.: Bierbrauer [1994], 130. Diculescu [1921],
420ff. et al.)

-matthew

http://us.click.yahoo.com/rZll0B/4ftFAA/46VHAA/wWMplB/TM