[gothic-l] vaerul

hrafnsnest wulfsligrs at CENTURYTEL.NET
Mon Mar 31 19:16:18 UTC 2003

Hails Alls!

  This posting is following the vein that was tapped by Bertil
sometime ago regarding possible the Erulic homeland.  The question I
have is regarding the word "vaerul" or "varulv".  Does anyone know
when and where the earliest attested usage of the word was, whether
carved on stone, or printed on paper?  I was recently told that it
was in the northern regions of Denmark.  And, am I correct in
assuming that the standard interpretation of the prefix (var-) is the
same as "vargr" / "warg", and finally to "were"-wolf.

Saell!
Valulfr

FREE Cell Phones with up to $400 Cash Back!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/_bBUKB/vYxFAA/i5gGAA/wWMplB/TM