[gothic-l] Re: vaerul

faltin2001 dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Fri May 2 08:15:53 UTC 2003

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "hrafnsnest" <wulfsligrs at c...> wrote:
> Hails Alls!
>
>   This posting is following the vein that was tapped by Bertil
> sometime ago regarding possible the Erulic homeland.  The question
> have is regarding the word "vaerul" or "varulv".  Does anyone know
> when and where the earliest attested usage of the word was, whether
> carved on stone, or printed on paper?  I was recently told that it
> was in the northern regions of Denmark.  And, am I correct in
> assuming that the standard interpretation of the prefix (var-) is
the
> same as "vargr" / "warg", and finally to "were"-wolf.
>
> Saell!
> Valulfr

Hi,

perhaps one last thought. German Werwolf, English werewolf has
nothing to do with earlier mentioned connotations of 'vargr - thief'
or 'var - guard'. 'Wer' is Old High German and means 'man'. Hence, a
Werwolf is a man-wolf, a mixture of man and wolf. I don't know
whether this applies at all to the names which you seek to explain,
though. At any rate, Heruls have nothing to do with that.

cheers

http://us.click.yahoo.com/KXUxcA/fNtFAA/uetFAA/wWMplB/TM