[gothic-l] Re: Gothic names

Mike abrigon at YAHOO.COM
Sun Nov 2 09:25:30 UTC 2003

Looking for a way to say Morgoth, which sadly was used by Tolkien,
seems to have a Gothic or related language root to it, but any ideas
of where? Failing this, looking for examples of c.1100 Crimean Goth
names, for a persona I have for the local SCA group.

Gaut = Goth or Gaut (a God)
Mor = Dark/Black? Maur?

Mike

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "?????? ????????" <vegorov at i...>
wrote:
> To Troels Brandt and not only.
>
> Hi, Troels!
>
> Sometime and somewhere on the Gothic List
> I encountered your "back-derivation" *Hrothiwulf
> for the Gothic language from Scandinavian Hrólf.
> I did not find the original message and reproduce
> the derivation on my memory. If I'm not wrong,
> i.e. if you suggested *Hrothiwulf or something
> close to this in fact, I'd like to inquire you
> about a possible Scandinavian form for
> the hypothetic Gothic name *Hrothrik
> (*Hrotharik, *Hrothirik).
>
> Of course, opinion of any other list members
> would be of interest.
>
> Vladimir

Rent DVDs Online - Over 14,500 titles.
No Late Fees & Free Shipping.