[gothic-l] Re: Germanic/Gothic phonology and Wright's grammar

Francisc Czobor fericzobor at YAHOO.COM
Tue Nov 11 07:51:03 UTC 2003

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "gazariah" <brahmabull at h...> wrote:
> Francisc:
>
> I have just a few books on Germanic available to me, but I gather
> scholars have suggested that because both North and West Germanic
> (NWG)have some changes that do not appear in Gothic, we can
> hypothesize that Primitive Germanic broke first into East Germanic
> (Gothic) and NWG, and that the split into NG and WG happened later.
>
> ON <guth> for "god" alongside <goth> can easily be explained
through
> paradigm leveling. Of course Gothic <guth> could be explained the
> same way, but since Germanic /u/ never seems turn into Gothic /o/
> this is probably the wrong way.
>
> Gazariah

Yes, but other sources speak about a first split into North-East
Germanic and West-Germanic. There are some innovations common to East
Germanic (Gothic) and North Germanic, the most quoted being: uw/ww >
ggw and iy/yy > ggj (> Got. ddj).

Francisc

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/wWMplB/TM