[gothic-l] Re: Germanic/Gothic phonology and Wright's grammar

faltin2001 dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Thu Nov 13 08:57:40 UTC 2003

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "gazariah" <brahmabull at h...> wrote:
> Dirk--
>
> Thanks from a pure amateur for the help and insight. Does
Tischler's
> article seem to be part of a still-living controversy about the
> breakup of Common Germanic, or is he just putting the last nails
into
> the coffin of the "gemein ost-nord-germanisch" theory? In other
> words, does the article bring up any recent scholarly work that
> controverts Tischler's own point of view?
>
> Cheers,
> Gazariah

Hi Gazariah,

Tischler's article was written for the Reallexikon der Germanischen
Altertumskunde. As such his aim was to present the latest state of
research on the question at hand, rather than presenting a new line
of thinking. Therefore, his conclusion that the "gemein ost-nord-
germanisch" theory is untenable is presented as opinio communis. I am
nowhere near an expert on languages, but his linguistic line of
argumentation is supported also by the general historical background,
which he also referes to.

Cheers,

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/wWMplB/TM