[gothic-l] Re: Hlaford

Francisc Czobor fericzobor at YAHOO.COM
Tue Sep 2 07:13:01 UTC 2003

Dear Le,

I missed your question because in July I was very busy and not able
even to read messages on Gothic-L.
Indeed, the word used by Wulfila for "lord" is frauja.
The English word "lord" comes from Old English hlaford < earlier hlaf-
weard "loaf-ward" (according to Webster's New World College
Dictionary).
To Old Eng. hlaf (Eng. loaf) corresponds Gothic hlaifs / hlaiba-
To Old Eng. weard / -ord (Eng. ward) corresponds Gothic warda or wards
(according to Koebler's "Gotisches Woerterbuch").
Thus, Old Eng. hlaford could be transposed literaly into Gothic as
*hlaiba-warda (weak decelnsion) or *hlaiba-wards (strong declendion).
But such a word is not attested in Gothic, and, as far as I know, no
other Germanic language except English used a construction of hlaf-
weard / hlaford type.

Francisc

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Le Bateman" <LeBateman at N...> wrote:
> I asked it back in July it seems this is the only question of mine
that has
> been answered and I thank you. I  feel as though I am being
ignored. I asked
> about the Name of the town  of Gotenhaven, but was asked not to ask
that
> because that was a Kriegsmarine  yard in World War II.  I was
interested in
> the origin of the name it mean Goths Haven. I will merely read the
post and
> not post from now on.
> Sincerely
> Jacob L. Bateman III or Le

July)

> The word used by Wulfila was "frauja". The English word is a
compound whose
> first element is "loaf". This has a cognate "hlaifs" in Gothic,
used to mean
> bread. I do not know whether the Anglo-Saxon "ord", which was the
other half
> of
> the compound, has any known Gothic counterpart. Lehmann's
dictionary seems

http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/wWMplB/TM