[gothic-l] Re: Vladimir

?????? ???????? vegorov at IPIRAN.RU
Mon Sep 15 07:36:32 UTC 2003

*<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Hi David!

I was referring to neither specifically
German nor particularly Finnish.
I only tried to arouse a doubt in
the general assurance that Gothic had not
been featured by any umlauts. My doubts
were stimulated by some observations on
cognates between Gothic and Old Russian.
For instance, the Old Russian cognate for
Gothic "Airils" is [jarilo]. Should "ai"
be here pronounced as [e], the Russian
version would be [(j)erilo]. Though, in
case of the pronunciation [aj], I realize
a probability of a metathesis
[ajrilo]-[jarilo], which would explain
the Russian cognate without the a-umlaut.

To continue discussion on the alternative
[e] / [aj]. Francisc Czobor has noticed
absolutely true the Russian cognate to
Gothic "hlaifs" as [hleb] indicating
replacement "ai">[e]. But I’d like to add
the Finnish cognate “läipä” indicating
preservation of [aj].

Thus, I do not suggest a revision of
the Gothic phonetics and grammar having
offered solely not to isolate ourselves
in Wulfila’s shackles and always to hold
ourselves in readiness to break them...

Also, I’d like to express a personal
gratitude to you, David, for a remarkable
Franconian stem "terwa" for fidelity.
You give a new impulse to my concoctions
on etymologizing the Greutungi / Tervingi.

Thank you and

best regards

Vladimir