[gothic-l] Re: Vladimir (bojar)

Francisc Czobor fericzobor at YAHOO.COM
Thu Sep 18 15:46:10 UTC 2003

Hi!

This is already off-topic, but I want to add some words about the
word bojarin:
In the etymological dictionaries accessible for me, the explanations
are contradictory:
The Hungarian etymological dictionary states that the word, which in
Hungarian is "bojár" and means "Russian or Romanian land owner", is
of Slavic origin. There are given examples in several Slavic
languages (including Russian), and states that the source is from Old
Bulgarian (bol'ar), where it comes probably from Turkic-Bulgar.
In Romanian there is the word "boier" which means "Romanian feudal
land owner" and is indeed most probably of Old Bulgarian origin, like
the great majority of Romanian words of Slavic origin.
On the other hand, Webster's (under the entry "boyar" = "member of
the privileged aristocracy in czarist Russia; member of the
privileged aristocracy in Romania") gives as etymology the Russian
boyarin, pl. boyare "grandee" < boj "battle".
I have once read in a Hungarian dictionary found in a library that
one of the etymologies proposed for the word "magyar" (the own
designation of Hungarians) would be a Turkic "bayar" = "nobleman",
although the most accepted version is the Finno-Ugric origin of this
word. What is not clear for me is if there is indeed attested a
word "bayar" in some Turkic language or is only presumed (based
eventually on "bojar").

Francisc

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "faltin2001" <dirk at s...> wrote:
> --- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "?????? ????????" <vegorov at i...>
> wrote:
> >
> > PS. Of course, I never thought [jarilo]
> > or Airils to have any connection with
> > eorl/jarl. I concede Russian [bojarin]
> > "boyar" might be derivative from
> > Scandinavian "bo jarl" meaning "manor
> > (feudal) lord", though a commonly
> > accepted etymology for [bojarin] is
> > Turkic [bojlar] as a plural from [bojl]
> > with not clear meaning.
> >

> Indeed, the word 'boyar' is of turkic/tataric origin and has
nothing
> to do with jarl.
>
> cheers
> Dirk
>

> > Regards,
> >
> > Vladimir

Buy Remanufactured Ink Cartridges & Refill Kits at MyInks.com for: HP $8-20. Epson $3-9, Canon $5-15, Lexmark $4-17. Free s/h over $50 (US & Canada).
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=6351
http://us.click.yahoo.com/0zJuRD/6CvGAA/qnsNAA/wWMplB/TM