[gothic-l] Re: "Umlaut" in Gothic?

Tore Gannholm tore.gannholm at SWIPNET.SE
Tue Sep 23 15:31:08 UTC 2003

>*<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />
>

>Tore,
>

>nobody knows wherefrom Rurik came.
>

>I do not know of which generation
>of Russian scholars do you speak,
>but modern archaeological finds
>expose to light two indisputable facts:

I do not speak about the communist scholars that tried to hide
everything Scandinavian. I talk about todays scholars some of which I
met last week in Novgorod and Staraja Ladoga.
They even mentioned that during the Communist time the archaeologists
made excavations in Staraja Ladoga to prove that there were no
Scandinavian involvement. They only found Scandinavian houses dating
back to about 750. They quickly closed the shaft and said that they
found nothing. All this has now been reexcavated.

>1) Novgorod, where Rurik had allegedly
>come to, did not exist in 1862, it
>arouse in the middle of the 10th century;

If you read Nestor Rurik came with his true Varangians and his
household to Staraja Ladoga where he stayed two years. After that he
went to Gorodisje. (Two km from Novgorod) This has during the last
couple of years been excavated and can be dated to the time mentioned
in Nestor.

>2) there is no one visible trace
>of Scandinavian presence in Kiev
>and its neighborhood at the end of 9th
>and begin of 10th century.

According to Nestor it is only after that time the establised in Kiev
which agrees with archaelogical findings.

>I should add also that reality of Rurik
>himself (as well as its successor Oleg)
>is dubious.

It would be very interesting to see what your sources are. If you
have read Igor Sjaskolskij  from 1965 I can very well understand you
position. This was the official communist view no longer accepted.

Tore

>Of course, all this cannot shade
>obviousness of borrowing many feudal
>Russian titles from Germanic languages
>as I have written in a previous message.
>

>Vladimir

Buy Remanufactured Ink Cartridges & Refill Kits at MyInks.com for: HP $8-20. Epson $3-9, Canon $5-15, Lexmark $4-17. Free s/h over $50 (US & Canada).
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=6351
http://us.click.yahoo.com/0zJuRD/6CvGAA/qnsNAA/wWMplB/TM