[gothic-l] Re: Boyar and related

gazariah brahmabull at HUSHMAIL.COM
Thu Sep 25 19:06:05 UTC 2003

Hi Vladimir,

> "bo" in "bo jarl" should mean
> building, manor, village (cf. HG "bau",
> OE and Swedish "by" - village,
> Danish "by" - town).

Thanks for the clarification.

The word is 'by' in Swedish and Danish. As for English, the suffix
in names like Willoughby is generally understood as a borrowed Norse
element. I don't think 'by' existed as a word in Old English. Modern
English 'boor' (cognate with German 'Bauer' comes from Dutch; note
the long [u:].

In Old Norse, the word was /bu:/, spelled <bú>. It's used in the
Heimskringla, where we read: 'foerdhu til skipa baedhi man ok bú.' It
looks like this means "both men and farming," or perhaps better
understood as "livestock." In any case <bú> here seems to denote not
so much a place as an enterprise and activity.

And of course none of the words you cite has a vowel that would
account for the /o/ in 'bojarin'.

Regards,
Gazariah

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511