[gothic-l] Re: Gothic font

F.E.J.D. IV visigoth at ATT.NET
Sun Aug 1 07:37:28 UTC 2004

Greetings,
This has become a very confusing thread.

Oscar wrote:
<I know its of gothic origins, manie. i see alot of names in spain of
<gothic origins.i go there every month.

1).
Oscar, how can you say (YOU KNOW) it is of Gothic origin? Just because
someone goes to Spain every month and sees many Gothic names does not
make their assertions correct.
2).
I wonder about your spelling, perhaps you meant - Castelldefels? I
have never seen it spelled (castlefels), nor can I find a city (thus
spelled) on a map of Spain?
3).
Even so, Francisc and Mannie are correct (castell; castellum,
castilla; castillo) are all derived from the Latin << castellum >>. It
is NOT a Germanic/Gothic word at all. BTW the city of "Castelldefells"
is (I believe) in Catalonia and I spell it here as it would be in the
Catalan Language.
4).
Nonetheless, the area known as Castilla (Castile) was the area most
densely settled by the Visigoths. I have heard say that about 1 - 2%
of toponyms in this area and to the North are of Germanic origin,
however, I have never seen a list or a study on the latter.
5).
There are two toponyms that pertain to Germanic groups in Spain. One
such is Catalonia, said to be derived from "Gotalonia" (the place of
the Goths), but I cannot attest to it since I have not consulted
reliable sources. The other is Andalusia, it is said to be derived
from Vandalusia, (the land of the Vandals), this seems to be well
attested.
6).
Also, the name of the city of "Burgos" is said to be of Germanic
origin, however, I am not sure whether it is Suebic or Gothic, perhaps
Francisc can elucidate on this word?

Cheers,
F.E.J.D

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM