[gothic-l] Re: Gothic font (Burgos)

F.E.J.D. IV visigoth at ATT.NET
Tue Aug 3 17:58:12 UTC 2004

Dear Francisc,

Please also see my next post regarding "Gothic" names.

Francisc, I think many of us have forgotten that you "modestly"
consider yourself an "amateur", however your explanation was quite
astute and I consider this list fortunate to have you on board.  --

Lore had it that Burgos was founded in about 884 by Diego Rodriguez
heir to the first Count of Castile, Rodrigo I, however, it is now
widely accepted by historians that Burgos already existed a few
(centuries) before this proclamation. Records show that in 864 another
leader named Gundisalviz had already defended Burgos against invaders.
The latter and the fact that Burgos is located in the fringes of the
Southeastern areas of what was once the Suebic kingdom and the
Northwestern areas of the densest area of Visigothic settlement
indicates that geographically and chronologically, Burgos could have
been founded by either people (Suebi or Visigoths), but Even if it
were founded in the 9th C, it would mean that the Germanic word Burg
(whether Suebic or Gothic) had already somehow found its way into the
"formative" Castilian language (which at the time had not yet even
taken its medieval form). BTW I seem to remember somewhere
(Gamillscheg  perhaps) that the word Burgos is (as you surmize) most
likely of Suebic provenance.

Cheers,
F.E.J.D. IV
(Frithunanths Alatheus Ximenez Diaz)