[gothic-l] Re: Gothic font (Burgos) Gothic Names

F.E.J.D. IV visigoth at ATT.NET
Thu Aug 5 05:01:00 UTC 2004

Francisc,
Thank you kindly for your explanation.
I tried your link to Koebler's dictionary but I could not get it to
work. Nonetheless, I was able to find an alternate viable page and was
able to download it in PDF format; the link is:

www.koeblergerhard.de/germanistischewoerterbuecher/
gotischeswoerterbuch/NE-GOT.pdf

As concerns your explanation, I suppose it might be possible to
understand the analysis of Alathius : (ala-"all") +  (thius- "thrall,
servant, boy") in two different ways. One such might give the
understanding of a mendicant slave who waits on everyone. The other
might possibly be more in keeping with someone who had been given the
time the training and the grooming to eventually command the allied
Gothic cavalry as is evidenced in the Getica at the battle of
Hadrianople. The latter example may support understanding the name
Alatheus as one in the service of the Thiuda; a stoic caretaker
sacrificing himself in “service” to “all” the people. I suppose I m=
ust
warn everyone however, I am not an onomastician or linguist; caveat
lector.
Comments are welcomed.

Thanks again Francisc.
Cheers,