[gothic-l] Re: Gothic font (Burgos) Gothic Names

Francisc Czobor fericzobor at YAHOO.COM
Thu Aug 5 14:09:57 UTC 2004

Hi, Fernando,

you didn't succeed to get the link to Koebler's Annex 3 (Gothic
Names) probably because you tried to click on the link in my message.
But, unfortunately, that addess was not displayed in one row, so in
this case you would click on a truncated link that obviously will
give an error. Therefore you have to retype the address in order to
accede to it.
Regarding your explanations regarding ala-thius, I also consider that
the second variant is more plasible.

Best regards,
Francisc

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "F.E.J.D. IV" <visigoth at a...> wrote:
> Francisc,
> Thank you kindly for your explanation.
> I tried your link to Koebler's dictionary but I could not get it to
> work. Nonetheless, I was able to find an alternate viable page and
was
> able to download it in PDF format; the link is:
>
> www.koeblergerhard.de/germanistischewoerterbuecher/
> gotischeswoerterbuch/NE-GOT.pdf
>
> As concerns your explanation, I suppose it might be possible to
> understand the analysis of Alathius : (ala-"all") +  (thius-
 "thrall,
> servant, boy") in two different ways. One such might give the
> understanding of a mendicant slave who waits on everyone. The other
> might possibly be more in keeping with someone who had been given
the
> time the training and the grooming to eventually command the allied
> Gothic cavalry as is evidenced in the Getica at the battle of
> Hadrianople. The latter example may support understanding the name
> Alatheus as one in the service of the Thiuda; a stoic caretaker
> sacrificing himself in “service” to “all” the people. I
suppose I m=

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM