[gothic-l] Re: Possible Non Indo-European substrates in Germanic?

llama_nom penterakt at FSMAIL.NET
Tue Aug 10 12:02:37 UTC 2004

Hi Jim,

Wandering a bit off topic...

I don't know much about this, but I gather there is some evidence
that Neandertals survived longest in the far west of Europe.  The
discovery of a child's skeleton at Lagar Velho in Portugal with mixed
Modern & Neandertal features suggests that there was interbreeding
between the two peoples.

http://www.hominids.com/donsmaps/lagar.html

Regarding Neandertal language, there have been arguments both ways.
An early study which claimed they lacked the vocal equiptment for
speech has been undermined from several quarters.  E.g. a Neandertal
hyoid bone was found in Israel, closely resembling the Modern hyoid.
There have even been some intriguing speculations on the range of
sounds that could have constituted Neandertal phonemes!

http://www.anatomy.usyd.edu.au/danny/anthropology/anthro-
l/archive/february-1996/0693.html

Llama Nom

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, James Young <daddio52 at s...> wrote:

> Dear Llama Nom and Fernando,
>
> I loved that whole Clan of the Cave Bear series. I read three or
four of them. They were about the old conflict between the Cro-magnon
and Neanderthal. Surly someone survived the later waves out of
central Asia.

blank email to <gothic-l-unsubscribe at egroups.com>.

> Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

>    Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
Service.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM