[gothic-l] Re: Visigoths not "Booted Out"

faltin2001 dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Wed Aug 11 20:56:52 UTC 2004

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Ingemar Nordgren" <ingemar at n...>
wrote:
> --- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, James Young <daddio52 at s...> wrote:
> >

> > I've long had an admiration for Avaroes, a Spanish Islamic
> philosopher of Berber descent. Now I wonder if the decentralized
> nature of Visgothic Spain may have led to the freedom of thought and
> science expressed in Avaroes' philosophy in the same way that the
> Reformation led to the Age of Reason. And what about that "Avar" in
> his name?
>
> Dear Jim,
>
> As other already  explanied Averoes was not a Goth. Concerning the
> freedom of mind and thought this rather was gradually diminished
under
> the Goths,i.e. from  king Reccared's Catholic rule abanding
Arianism,
> until it almost ceased with the enslavement of the Jews in
702.Before
> Reccared the old freedom and tolerance still flourished (even if I
> know somebody who disagrees of course).

Hi Ingemar,

you meant me of course. As I had shown on the Germanic-L a first and
important step in the persecution and marginalisation of the Jews of
Spain was indeed taken already under Alaric II at the begining of the
6th century when the Visigoths had just arrived in Spain. This
legislation, promulgated by Alaric made it illegal for Jews to obtain
any job or any position in society that would give them authority
over a Christian (both Arian and Catholic). D. Claude (Adel und
Kirche ...) regarded this as a key step in the marginalisation and
eventual persecution of the Jews under Visigothic rule.
But of course, you know all this already, and I agree with you that
things got progressively worse for the Jews under Visigothic rule.
But this progression was not the result of the conversion to
Catholicism, but instead was owing to the strengthening of central
royal power which had started under Leovigild, who was an Arian. I
know you will not agree as usual.

Cheers

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM