[gothic-l] Gothic words in Bavarian

llama_nom penterakt at FSMAIL.NET
Sat Aug 14 10:52:06 UTC 2004

Hi Dirk,

I'd be interested to see a list of the Gothic loanwords into
Bavarian; I'm especially curious about the "Gothic words which are
uniquely preserved in Bavarian".  Do you know if these include any
others apart from the days of the week?

How certain is it that Pfait is a Gothic loan?  The word is also
found in Old English, as PAD, with compounds such as HEREPAD (war-
shirt = armour) and HASUPAD (grey-shirt = wolf).  According to
Priebsch & Collinson "The German Language", OHG pfeit "seems to have
been shifted from a Thracian word BAITEE for a sheepskin". (BAITEE is
spelt in Greek letters, I used EE for Gk. eta.)

Is AU the normal development of Gmc. long U: in Bavarian, as in
standard Modern High German?  If so, this might point to the
confusion in Gothic between O: and U:, and I guess the final T in
Maut would imply that it was borrowed after the High German consonant
shift.  So this looks quite a good candidate.

The "supposedly Crimean" TELICH, of course, being so very similar to
the Low German, raises the question of how much Bousbeque was
assimilating the forms of these Gothic words to those of German or
Dutch words he was more familiar with.  I wonder what the etymology
of this is.

Another thought: is there any evidence of Gothic vocabulary in the
Alemannic dialects of Switzerland?

Llama Nom

> The Gothic
> > influence in Bavarian is attributed mainly to an alleged Gothic-
> Arian
> > mission to Bavaria, which would explain loanwords connected more
or
> > less to religion (including some names of the days of the week).
>

> Yes, there is a study on this subject I think in 'Die Bayern und
ihre
> Nachbarn, Part 1, Berichte des Symposium der Kommission fuer
> Fruehmittelalterforschung, 1982. I have the article at home and can
> get you the full reference if needed. The existence of such a
mission
> is not certain as you indicated, but given the religious
vocabulary,
> including some Gothic words which are uniquely preserved in
Bavarian

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM