[gothic-l] Re: International

llama_nom penterakt at FSMAIL.NET
Tue Aug 17 10:34:39 UTC 2004

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Fredrik" <gadrauhts at h...> wrote:
> I've tried to translate the most international song ever to gothic,
> but this far only the refrain. I would like to hear what you think
> about it. If the grammar sucks, or if it too unlike the original
etc.

> Here's the refrain of The International (L'Internationale):
>
> Weig aftumist and-weiham,
> Ga-qimiþ þaírh ga-deþ.
> Sa Internatsjonals,
> lisiþ þo mana-seþ.

Fredrik gahlaiba, hails!

Good idea.  The syntax of your Gothic Internationale looks excellent
to me.  But might I suggest a couple of word-changes, sow some
doubts, and generally muddy the waters...

ANDWEIHAN appears just twice in the Gothic Bible, as far as I know,
which makes it hard to make any definite pronouncements about usage,
but both times it seems to mean 'to oppose [something/someone]'
or 'fight against' or just 'be opposed towards [a person]'.  (Once is
abstract: the idea of a law opposing a law; the other is Isaac being
opposed to, or taking a dislike to, Esau).  I'm not sure if you could
use it with "battle" as the direct object with the sense 'face the
last battle'.  I wonder if there are parallels in OE, ON or OHG?
If I remember right, "fight the good fight" is: HAIFSTEI THO GODON
HAIFST (1Tm 6,12), so we could have: haifstjam tho aftumiston
haifst 'let us fight the last fight' - with a word order of your
choice.  Aftumisto weig weihan 'fight the final fight' should work.

Another possibility is ANDSTANDAN +dative.  Which I have down
as 'withstand, oppose, gainsay'.  But again, the examples are all of
opposing a person, or opposing someone's will, or
opposing/withstanding evil, rather than "facing" adversity, as such.

Then there's ANDWAIHANDS +genitive 'opposed to', just one occurance,
which may or may not be related to andweihan.  Or
ANDWAIRTHIS 'opposite to, facing'.  Or FAURA ANDWAIRTHJA this
spedistins weigis, etc. 'in the face of the final battle'.  But do
any of these have the metaphorical sense of facing danger, etc.?  I
don't know, but we could check...

THAIRH GADETH.  I'm not quite sure what you had in mind here.
Literally "Through deed"?  "By our actions"??

LISAN is always used for 'gather' in the sense of 'collect, harvest,
gather in', rather than 'unite'.  But who knows, maybe it had
extended senses which just weren't recorded.  GALISAN can mean
either 'collect/harvest' or reflexively SIK GALISAN 'congregate, come
together, meet'.  The GA- probably helps give it a sense
of "together".  Other possibilities, with the more specific
meaning 'join': gawidan, gagatilon, (ga)gahaftjan.

> I've also thought about the very famous quot of the communist
> manifesto by Karl Marx, which is some thing like 'workers of all
> countries, unite!' in english, I think. I have two propositions for
> translation. Please tell me which one you think is better than the
> other or if both of em sucks.
>
> OK, here they are:
>
> 1) Arbáidjarjos þize allane lande, ga-qimiþ!
> 2) Waúrstwans faírhwáus, lisiþ izwis!
>

> Thank you for your oppinion.

For "worker's of the world unite", I'd go for a mixture of your two
suggestions, e.g.:
Fairhwaus waurstwans gaqimith!
Waurstwans fairhwaus gaqimith!
...gagaggith izwis!
...galisith izwis!

(Wow, just read that aloud: Gothic is great!)  All of which mean
literally "come together".  Or you could use a phrase that means
literally "join' together (with each other)":
Fairhwaus waurstwans gahaftnith (sis misso)!
...gahafteith sik (sis misso)!
etc.

Probably the simplest way of saying it, with the least confusable
meaning: FAIRHWAUS WAURSTWANS GAHAFTNITH!  Literally: "be
joined/united".

Finally, here's my go at a Gothic "The Internationale".  I consulted
as many of the various language versions here as I could understand:
http://angelfire.com/pq/svechka

Usstandith allans huhraus bandjans!
Usstandith uswaurpos thiude!
So unraihteins skal suns gaandjan:
atist auk airtha batizei.

Afwaurpanos sind bandjos fairnjos,
gasatiths aftra hlains jah dal.
Gasniwam weis us faur bi stairnons.
Ni waiht, weis habam wairthan all.

Tho nunu spediston  haifst haifstjam,
naht andstandandans.
Thata Gathiudaliuth, gahlaibans,
gawidith alamans.

Arise all ye prisoners of hunger!  Arise ye outcasts of the nations!
Injustice shall soon end: for a better earth is near.
Cast off are the old (out-moded) chains; hill and dale (i.e. the
world) made anew (re-established).  Let us hasten on out to the
stars.  [Though] nothing, we shall be all.
So, let us fight the final fight, withstanding the night.  The
Internationale (song of peoples + collective prefix), comrades,
unites all humankind.

(Oops, I went a bit Tolkienish there with the "hill and dale", but
what else to rhyme with ALL?  The use of a singular verb with two
objects can be paralleled in Old English: think of it as "hill has
been re-established, and also dale" - or as cheating to cut down on
syllables...)

Llama Nom

http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM