[gothic-l] Re: International

Fredrik gadrauhts at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Aug 20 09:09:35 UTC 2004

Hails, Llama Nom!

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "llama_nom" <penterakt at f...> wrote:

> If we treat "The International" like an adjective made into an
> abstract definite noun, I reckon it would probably be neuter: thata
> Intairnatsjonalo (cf. thata ubilo).  (With AI to represent the
> short /e/ sound.)

Is that a common/usual way to create nouns out of adjectives?
Do they always becomes neuter? What stem does these nouns, could it
possibly be n-stems / weak nouns?
Btw, the usage of ai and au for monoftongs, should it be au in e.g.
aúrþo- for ortho- in e.g. orthodoxy?

> That takes a bit of liberty with GADETH, since the GA- is usually
> considered to have been stressed in nouns & adjectives, unlike in
Old
> English and modern German.  But it's probably acceptable, since the
> root DETH must have had a quite strong secondary stress.

Is it always the syllable of ga- that has the stress in words with ga-
 prefix?

Are there any more rules of where the stresses should be?
I guess this is where i'm worst about gothic.

> Afwairpam bandjom midjungardis.
> Was aftra gasatiths hlains jah dal.
> Nist nauths uns stauins aiththau wardis.
> Ni waiht, weis habam wairthan all.

This is a good version too. Does the first sentence mean smth
like 'we throw off the chains of the world'?
About 'bandi' does it mean 'chain' or could it probably mean
band/bond too?

> (-wairpan can take dative or accusative)  "We have no need of
> judges/rulers or guards."  (Compare Portuguese: não mais
senhores!)
> That's probably saying the same as all the versions which have the
> theme of "no more in thrall", no masters = no slaves.

In the swedish version we have 'slav, stig upp för att slå dig fri!'
which means 'thrall, arise to break free.' The signification is the
same. Did you have anything of this meaning in your first version?

I also have some completely different questions.
Did the goths have anything like 'good day' for greeting or did they
use anything else? If they used it how did they say it?
I've thought about it and at first I thought 'goþs dags', which
litteraly means good day. But then I thought 'godan dag'. You
probably know what i'm thinking about there. The adjective is
masculine singular accusative and weak, the noun is also masculine
accusative singular. As model I've used german 'guten tag' which has
that form because of it could fit in the sentence 'ich wünsche dir
einen guten tag' = I wish you a good day, with 'you' in dative
and 'day' in accusative.
The whole sentence could be smth like this in gothic, maybe:
Ik gairnja þus ainana godan dag. (The word for 'wish' that I used
isn't probably the right one but you probably understand it anyway i
hope)

Gawairthi thus,

/Fredrik

http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM