[gothic-l] Re: double words in gothic

llama_nom penterakt at FSMAIL.NET
Fri Aug 20 12:38:28 UTC 2004

Hails Fredrik, jah godan dag!

Compound words are very common in Gothic, as they are in Swedish and
other Germanic languages.  Usually, the stem-vowel of the first word
appears in the compound, so: MATI-BALGS 'food-bag', because MATS
belongs to the i-stem declension; WEINA-GARDS 'vinyard', since WEIN
is an a-stem; DAUTHU-BLEIS 'marked for death, condemned', from
DAUTHUS 'death'.

There are quite a few exceptions though: WEIN-DRUGKJA 'wine-drinker'
(WEIN = a-stem), and BRUTH-FATHS 'bridegroom' (BRUTHS = i-stem).  I
don't think there is any rule to say why the stem-vowel was missed
out here.  But it is more normal to include it.

Ja- & jo-stems with a short root syllable keep the -ja (e.g. midja-
sweipains 'the Flood', but long ja & jo-stems reduce it to -i (arbi-
numja 'heir', thusundi-faths 'chiliarch, leader of a thousand men').

An-/on-stems usually have -a- as the joining vowel: AUGA-
DAURO 'window' (literally "eye-door").  Consonant stems are often
irregular.  Examples in Wright's Gothic Grammar: BROTHRU-LUBO,
BROTHRA-LUBO, BAURGS-WADDJUS, NAHTA-MATS.

Compounds of an adjective and a noun follow the same rules.  So of
your examples, "blueberry", would probably be: BLEWABASI.
And "football" FOTUBALLUS, and "meatball" MIMZABALLUS.

Hope that helps!

Llama Nom

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM