[gothic-l] Pronouns and other questions

seitokojiro MRemick01 at AOL.COM
Sat Dec 11 22:06:48 UTC 2004

Hi, I'be been learning Gothic on and off for a few years and I've got
a few questions.

1) How do you know whether to use pronouns (like is, ita, si) and
their respective demonstrative pronouns (sa, thata, so) when refering
back to someone or something aforementioned? It seems that they are
almost interchangeable sometimes. Is there some circumstance, for
example, where 'thai' would be preferable to 'eis', or is it simply a
matter of preference?

2) I've been searching through the list archives and I can't seem to
find David Salo's 11th lesson. I remember coming across it sometime
before, but I may be mistaken. Did he even get up to lesson 11?

3) Would the s -> z change take place in masculine stems that end
is 's' therefore lacking the nom sing 's'? I'm not quite sure how to
decline them, which of these paradigms would be correct?
hals	halzos
hals	halzans
halzis	halze
halza	halzam
or
hals	halsos
hals	halsans
halsis	halse
halsa	halsam

and

runs	runseis
runs	runsins
runsis	runse
runsa	runsim
or
runs	runzeis
runs	runzins
runzis	runze
runza	runzim

4) I'm also having trouble with 'naus'. Is this paradigm correct?

naus	naweis
naus	nawins
nawis	nawe
nawa	nawim