[gothic-l] Re: Streitberg vs. Wright

llama_nom 600cell at OE.ECLIPSE.CO.UK
Mon Dec 20 20:11:24 UTC 2004

Hi Ted,

All extant forms are given in Koebler's dictionary (In spite of the
German title "Gotisches Woerterbuch" all definitions are also given
in English)--also in appendix all extant forms of Biblical names.
You can check anything by searching the Gothic corpus at the Wulfila
Project, or the Titus Project.  You can download the corpus from the
Wulfila site.  The final URL is my links page:

http://www.koeblergerhard.de/publikat.html
http://www.wulfila.be/Corpus/Search.html
http://www.wulfila.be/gothic/download/
http://titus.uni-frankfurt.de/indexe.htm
http://www.oe.eclipse.co.uk/nom/linkspage.htm

You might also be interested in this essay on the declension of
foreign names:

http://www.nthuleen.com/papers/755gothpaper.html

The Wulfila Project are in the process of updating to a more
sophisticated Search program, which should be interesting.  If
there's anything still baffling, you can always post a question here.

I'm not so familiar with Streitberg's glossary.  The main things
lacking from Wright's are

1) Many words!
2) Masculine i-stems are not identified as such.  (Well, they are in
my copy as I've scribbled in the margins...)
3) Incomplete information regarding what cases and/or prepositions
are used with what verbs.

Also, the nom.sg. m. & f. ending of short i-stem adjectives is
regularly amended by Wright to -s, whereas extant forms actually
have -is (nawis, sutis).  Which would point to *(un)nutis, rather
than *(un)nuts.

Llama Nom

PS. Here's a list of masculine i-stem nouns, and probable i-stems
(on the basis of cognates), some of them hypotheticals.  Asterisks
only included for totally hypothetical words.  Not necessarily
complete.

#albs? (i-stem in OE, but elsewhere a-stem), arms,
aurtigards, •bagks, •baks, balgs, barms, bruþfaths (d), baur, #Dans,
drus, -faþs (d), frasts, gadrauhts, gards, gasts, *hlamms, hugs
(=mind), hundafaþs (d), hunslastaþs (d), hups, juggalauþs (d),
laists, marisaiws, mats, matibalgs, midjungards, motastaþs (d),
muns, nahtamats, naus (nawis), qums, runs, saggws, saiws, *sals,
sauþs (d), slahs, stafs (b), staks, staþs (d) (=place),
striks, •stuggs, *swogs, synagogafaþs (d), #þiufaþs (d),
þlauhs, •þruks, þusundifaþs (d), *þuts, undaurnimats, undaurns,
urruns (=sunrise, drain), weinagards, #wins.

# reconstructions implied by personal names and words recorded in
Latin during the era of the Goths.
• reconstructions implied by words borrowed into Romance, Slavic,
etc.
* reconstructions implied by other parts of speech or compounds
actually attested in the Gothic corpus.

NOTE:
staþs (þ) "(dry) land, shore" a-stem
urruns, f. i-stem "departure, decease, a running out"
There may be others with identical forms of different declension.

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "AIFoundations.org"
<AIFoundations at z...> wrote:

> I have a question for the group. I am trying to determine the
> declension/conjugation information for all lemmas that exist in
Gothic

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM