[gothic-l] Re: Seasonal greetings

llama_nom 600cell at OE.ECLIPSE.CO.UK
Thu Dec 23 22:50:55 UTC 2004

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, OSCAR HERRERA <duke.co at s...> wrote:
> god hailida du alagutiskam...haf goda jer jah hlastai supanam du
larzihuhain

Likewise Oscar,

I think...  But could you translate larzihuhain for me?  Here's what
I *think* the rest says: "good health to all the Gothic folks..." --
that's us right? -- "have a good year and lots of booze...?"

I guessed *hlast- = OE hlæst "load".  The OE word is neut., but the -
t- suffix is a common way of forming nouns in Go. from strong verbs,
making fem. i-stems.  Or if you wanted an attested word, you could
use _ufarassus_ "an abundance, a lot".

Koebler has *supa "drink, booze", if I remember.  Masc. an-stem, so
the dat.pl. is probably *supam.

_jer_ is neuter, so you want _goþ jer_, or _godata jer_.
*hailiþa "health" would be feminine: goda hailiþa.
But there is a (probable, though not certain) neuter unhaili "poor
health" attested, so you could have: goþ haili.

And the imperative of _haban_ is _habai_.

Hope that hasn't dampened your cheer :)

Llama Nom

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Q7_YsB/neXJAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM