[gothic-l] Re: Seasonal greetings

llama_nom 600cell at OE.ECLIPSE.CO.UK
Fri Dec 24 21:13:39 UTC 2004

Hails Oscar!

Aha, you're thinking of the verb SUPON "to season" -- but in the
sense of "to add something to food to make it more tasty".  Easy
mistake to make: the word "season" just has these two completely
different meanings in English, confusingly enough...

I can't think of a good word that means exactly the same as "season"
(in the sense of a time of the year, the Christmas season), but
maybe something like DULÞAIS MEL "of-the-festival" + "time", or in
other words "the festive season".

Could the last bit be DU IZWIS ALLAIM "to you all"?

But all I know is a little bit from grammar books and dictionaries
and what little I've read of the small amount of the Gothic Bible
that has survived.  So I'm sure you know more far English than I
know Gothic.

Here's my lesson for tonight, anyway.  Gothic is a very inflected
language, which means that lots of things can cause words to change
their endings.  Whenever a noun or pronoun is used, it must
be "declined", that is, it has to have the right "case ending".
There are four cases, and they each have singular plural endings.

Verbs change their endings depending on who is doing the action, and
how many they are, and for various other reasons.

wulfs qam "the wolf has come"
wulfos qemun "the wolves have come"

wulf gasahv "I/he/she saw a wolf"
wulfis tunþu gasaihva "I can see a wolf´s tooth"
wulfa tunþu atgaf "I gave the tooth to the wolf"
þana tunþu nima af wulfam "I´m taking that tooth off the wolves"
sa tunþus hveits was "that tooth was white"
þata tawida faur wulfans "I did that for the wolves"
Qim wulf! Ni sokei mik beitan! Gif mis tunþu þana hveitan! "Come
wolf, don´t try to bite me!  Give me the white tooth."

etc.

Sometime´s it´s obvious what case to use.  The Nominative is usually
used for the subject of the verb.  IK QAM "I came".  But certain
verbs take unexpected cases, e.g. accusative HUGGREIÞ MIK.

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, OSCAR HERRERA <duke.co at s...> wrote:
> thagkan faur so laisarein.ik im swe finthandan..ju sind god mith
gutiska,auk ni invizei talzand ana so nati.....guth bidjan....thanks
for the lesson. im still learning...you are good with gothic,but why
dont you teach on the internet....god  bless....i thought supan was
season...larzizuh i think i spelled it rite but i meant everyone
with that...hlastan i thought that was happy,so maybe i spelled
wrong.....

> llama_nom <600cell at o...> wrote:
>
> --- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, OSCAR HERRERA wrote:
> > god hailida du alagutiskam...haf goda jer jah hlastai supanam du
> larzihuhain
>

> Likewise Oscar,
>
> I think... But could you translate larzihuhain for me? Here's what
> I *think* the rest says: "good health to all the Gothic folks..." -
-
> that's us right? -- "have a good year and lots of booze...?"
>
> I guessed *hlast- = OE hlæst "load". The OE word is neut., but
the -
> t- suffix is a common way of forming nouns in Go. from strong
verbs,
> making fem. i-stems. Or if you wanted an attested word, you could
> use _ufarassus_ "an abundance, a lot".
>
> Koebler has *supa "drink, booze", if I remember. Masc. an-stem, so
> the dat.pl. is probably *supam.
>
> _jer_ is neuter, so you want _goþ jer_, or _godata jer_.
> *hailiþa "health" would be feminine: goda hailiþa.
> But there is a (probable, though not certain) neuter unhaili "poor
> health" attested, so you could have: goþ haili.
>
> And the imperative of _haban_ is _habai_.
>
> Hope that hasn't dampened your cheer :)
>
> Llama Nom
>

> > llama_nom <600cell at o...> wrote:
> >

> > Goda Jiula jah hlas niujata jer jah þus Iggwimer!
> >
> > Llama Nom
> >

> > --- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Ingemar Nordgren"
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi dear list-members,
> > >
> > > I wish you all
> > >
> > > A Merry Christmas/Yule and A Happy New Year!
> > > God Jul och Gott Nytt År!
> > > En Glædelig Jul og et Godt Nytår!
> > > Frohes Weinachten und Ein Glückliches Neues Jahr!
> > > Bon Noël et Une Bonne Novelle Année!
> > > Bueno Navidad e un Año Nuevo Felidad!
> > >
> > > If you have problems with Christmas gifts or New Years gifts
you
> > can
> > > e.g. visit Amazon and serch for "The Well Spring of the
Goths".

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Q7_YsB/neXJAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM