[gothic-l] Re: New to the list with questions

faltin2001 dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Tue Feb 3 10:40:35 UTC 2004

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Francisc Czobor" <fericzobor at y...>
wrote:
> Hi Dirk!
>
> Thank you very much for your remark.
> I really believed that the eagle-fibulae were worn both by men and
> women.
>
> Francisc

Hi Francisc,

don't worry you were not the only one. I have seen illustrations
(artists impressions) of Gothic warriors adorned with huge eagle
fibulae and eagle belt buckles. However, they really only appear in
womens graves and they were part of female dress. In fact, it is a
feature of the cultures associated with the Goths, that the men were
very modestly dressed in contrast to the women.

Cheers
Dirk

> --- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "faltin2001" <dirk at s...> wrote:
> > --- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Francisc Czobor"
> <fericzobor at y...>
> > wrote:
> > Hi Francic,
> >
> > these 'eagle-fibulae' are of course very well known, and the
shape
> > was also adopted by Thuringians and Alamannians, but it is of
> course
> > a typical Gotho-Gepidic form. Yet, you wrote about chieftains
> wearing
> > such fibulae, which I think is not correct. The large eagle
fibulae
> > are part of the female dress, it was worn by wealthy Gothic and
> > Gepidic women not by men (at least not the typical large ones).
The

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/wWMplB/TM