[gothic-l] Re: old prussian

hrafnsnest wulfsligrs at CENTURYTEL.NET
Thu Feb 19 16:39:56 UTC 2004

Hailsa,
Please elaborate on the possible Caucasian connection with this
powerful "magical" word.  I have found that the earliest carving of
this word in stone is from the Elgesem stone found in SW Norway dated
at 400 CE.  Later it developed into the Norse word _öl_ meaning _ale_.

Vaxa ok vel Hafaz!
Valulfr Vaerulsson

But I gather _alu_ could just as easily be a Baltic cognate, rather
than a borrowing from Germanic necessarily.
Apparently the word did exist in Gothic (as *aluth), and is thought
to account for similar forms in Caucasian languages ("Etymology", ASC
Ross).

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/wWMplB/TM