[gothic-l] Re: Kovel cursive runes? Rinnandeins runos fram Kaubaila?

llama_nom penterakt at FSMAIL.NET
Fri Feb 20 12:53:02 UTC 2004

Ah ni!  Airzeis was.  Fraletaith mis, jabai wileith, jah mik tho
meina sanda fairnon gatairan uslaubjaith, bigat auk natjastath
sildaleikana thizo innmeleino rathjon habands manleikans, jah saihwa
nu ei sa Kaubailiska uzds raihtis allis antharleiks sik ataugeith
thau ahida.

http://home.no.net/ekerilar/europe-rune.htm

Ack no!  I've made a mistake.  Please excuse me and allow me to
demolish that last message of mine: I've just found a really great
website with pictures of a number of these inscriptions, and I see
now that the Kovel/Kowel spearhead actually appears quite different
to how I thought.

Taiknos thaiei mitoda runastabans A jah Th, sind raihtis swastika!
Jah anthar swastika saihwada in midumai ain thize 'rinnandone
waurde', thoei nu hwa mins galeika thunkjand jah mais feteiga.

The symbols I thought were the runes A and Th, are in fact a
swastika!  And another swastika can be seen in one of the 'cursive
words', which now seem somewhat less similar and more decorative...

Ah waila.

Oh well.

Im nauh kunthigairns mais bi thos innmeleinins ufkunnan; ussindo
wiljau finthan hwa Charnay stabe skeireinins.

I'm still curious to know more about these inscriptions.  In
particular, I'd like to hear of any interpretations of the Charnay
runes.  "Uthfinthai" I've read is 'may he find out' (?Goth.
*undfinthai, ?*unthafinthai), but apart from the futhark, I'm not
sure about the rest.  UTHFINTHAI DAN??AThO or -WO, maybe.  I think
I'll hold back on the wild speculations for a while...

llama nom

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/wWMplB/TM