[gothic-l] Gothic symbols

Ingemar Nordgren ingemar at NORDGREN.SE
Thu Feb 26 23:29:31 UTC 2004

Hi Llama non,

The Goths got the swastika from the Romans who in their turn got it from
the eastern part of the realm. Remember the hellenic world that was
before them and it's boundaries. It is common in Roman artwork. In the
same way the Goths took the imperial peacocks from  the Romans who got
them, I think, via Sassanidian influence. Sweden did in fact not exist
then, and the tribes up North in Scandinavia had for sure no earlier
contacts with this symbol, which was imported first by the Romans.

Best
Ingemar