[gothic-l] Re: Spanish surnames

llama_nom penterakt at FSMAIL.NET
Thu Jan 29 04:09:46 UTC 2004

Hi Denis,

This site has a big list of Spanish name-etymologies:

http://www.buenosaires.gov.ar/registrocivil/nombres/busqueda/index.php
?letra=a&sexo=m

According to it, Alvaro means "very alert".  Slightly modifying the
Gothic elements which they give, I'm guessing the original might be:
ALAWAR.  (The final -s disappears after a short vowel.)  The prefix
ala- is found in Gothic, meaning 'all' (alamans = 'humankind'), and
is common in names (cf. Alaric < *Alareiks).  While *war does not
occur in the corpus, _warei_ means 'cunning' or 'sly'.  It is cognate
with English _wary_, and related words in other Germanic languages,
meaning 'alert', 'aware', etc.

Llama Nom

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Denis Glenard" <denisglenard at y...>
wrote:
> Hi, I'm new in this group, interested in the links between the
Goths
> and their heritage in the Spanish peninsula.
>
> There is a question going on in a Spanish genealogy group about the
> origin of the surname ALVARADO.
>
> The conventional wisdom is that it is derived from Alfraed,
latinized
> as Alvaradus, then into Alvarado and it originates in the Gothic
> kingdom of Spain. Is there any recorded trace to substantiate this
> explanation ? Is it linked to Alvaro and Alvarez ?
>
> Thanks for your insights.
>
> Happy new year to all,
>
> Denis GLENARD

To visit your group on the web, go to: