[gothic-l] Gog and Magog

gerald baker glbaker50613 at YAHOO.COM
Sat Jan 31 17:21:54 UTC 2004

In the Bible, I think in "Revelation" of the New
Testament, there is a reference to the "armies of Gog
and Magog," who will come from the north to the
prophesied "battle of Armageddon." I've read at times
that these names may have referred to the "Getae and
the Massagetae," mentioned by the Greek historian
Herodotus. Some have interpreted the "Getae" as being
"Goths" and the "Massagetae" as being "Huns."

However, I have a different hypothesis. Perhaps "Gog
and Magog" was a slogan, or battle-cry, of at least
some of the Celtic armies that roamed far afield. The
Galatians of central Asia Minor were Celts that were
well-known to the Hellenic world of the New Testament
writers, and Celtic groups that didn't form lasting
colonies may have raided in Palestine, Mesopotamia,
etc.

The battle-cry that I think of may have been "Lugh and
Mac Og." Lugh was the chief of the Celtic gods, and
Oengus, (or "Angus," as in the Scottish), had the
appellation "Mac Og," or "young son." Oengus has been
defined as the "God of Love."

In Ireland, a modern nation of Celtic origin, there
has been a modern expletive, "Bedad and Bejabers,"
which I suppose to be derived from "By God and By
Jesus!" Jesus is considered the "Son of God," and the
"God of Love," too.

Gerald Baker

http://webhosting.yahoo.com/ps/sb/

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511