[gothic-l] New member introduction

John Stewart john.stewart at IUED.UNI-HEIDELBERG.DE
Mon Jul 5 08:09:45 UTC 2004

Dear members of Gothic-L,

I recently joined this list and received an automatic welcome-to-the-list
message. It said, among other things, that new members should introduce
themselves and their interests, so here goes:

My name is John Stewart, I have just finished a PhD in Germanic Studies
(linguistics, language acquisition, Scandinavian studies inter alia) at the
University of Texas at Austin in December 2003. I wrote my dissertation on
the acquisition of Swedish as a 2nd language by immigrant children and
adults; the point of the diss was to test a UG-based hypothesis about age
constraints in language acquisition.

Before that, though, I had taken a wide range of courses in Germanic
languages, lit, culture, etc., including modern Swedish, Intro. to Old Norse
Lg. and Lit with John Weinstock, Older Germanic Dialects with Edgar Polome,
History of German Lg. with Mark Southern.

I don't know much about Gothic beyond the intro. level and couldn't dream of
posting a message to the list in it, but am fascinated nonetheless and happy
to listen in (currently reading Irmengard Rauch's The Gothic Language and
welcome any other tips for an overview).

Right now I'm teaching Translation Studies at the University of Heidelberg.

Hoping this won't be perceived as s p a m,
John Stewart

to <gothic-l-unsubscribe at egroups.com>.

--
Dr John Stewart, BA, MA