[gothic-l] Re: Baltic Amber

Ingemar Nordgren ingemar at NORDGREN.SE
Tue Jul 20 23:55:46 UTC 2004

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "faltin2001" <dirk at s...> wrote:

> Hi Ingemar,
>
> the archaeological distribution of the Wielbark/Willenberg culture is
> fairly well established and it confirms that the Gotones did not live
> at the coast, but that they lived inlands. This is also in line with
> Tacitus' description and with the suggestion that they have been
> under Marcomannic suzereinty at some point.
>
> Cheers
> Dirk

They lived in connection to/along the Vistula and both closer and
further from the coast according to different  descriptions, but
probably not in Samland as I have already commented.This was however
later the origin-area of the third Gothic group-the Gepids - in a
multi-ochtonous tribeformation according to Ockulicz. The amber-trade
however is quite possible to control, at least in parts, if you
control the rivers and some strategic points- you do not need to
control the production-area.

Greetings
Ingemar

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM