[gothic-l] Re: háils

Ingemar Nordgren ingemar at NORDGREN.SE
Wed Jul 21 11:55:45 UTC 2004

Dear Llama,

This is quite interesting and a good try of reconstruction of
calendars. I would like to preserve it better  but some characters of
quite important meaning are not readable on my computer even if I
doubtless have the fonts. It is evidently the messenger/browser that
is wrongly set for reception. Could you please lie it all as a
word-file in the file section or send it as attachment directly to my
adress?

Best
Ingemar

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "llama_nom" <penterakt at f...> wrote:

> Hails Manie,
>
> For the sake of completeness, as a Gothic name for Monday I've toyed
> with the variants: *Daiwtairadags, *Diutadags (after Greek, the
> second more assimilated to Gothic sounds), or *Meninsdags (after
> other Germanic languages), or some innocent calque like: Anthardags.
> No evidence for any of them, I'm afraid, as far as I know.  And I'm
> not familiar with the history of the Greek names, so I don't know
> whether hee deutéra, the modern name, was in use at this time.
> And for Wednesday, maybe: Midjawiko.  In support of this is the
> German substitution of Mittwoch for Wotanstag, and the Slavonic use
> of words meaning "centre" for this middle day.  But this is just a
> guess.
>
> Now the months: Here goes...

GREAT SNIP!

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM