[gothic-l] Re: Baltic Amber

Ingemar Nordgren ingemar at NORDGREN.SE
Sun Jul 25 22:14:10 UTC 2004

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, Tore Gannholm <tore at g...> wrote:
Hi Tore,

You wrote:

> Ingemar,
> What is an odinistic king? Is it a Shaman?

No, an odinistic king is a king claiming original ancestry from
Óðinn-Gaut and hence a hero. This is the foundation of his power. He
also in local warrior-cult represents the god. He was however not a
shaman and nor was he comitted directly to the fertility cult except
of being höggoðe/Pontifex Maximus.In case of need however the king was
responsible for harwest and the good of the people. In such cases
there is spoken of king's sacrifices to Óðinn/Wodan. Many presume this
is the explanation of the 'suicide' of Ermanarik/Hermanarik.

Yes, I have read Nancke Krogh and even discussed his book intensively
with himself several times. I agree to same things and disagree to other.

Best
Ingemar

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM