[gothic-l] Re: Please, thank you, excuse me, you're welcome

llama_nom penterakt at FSMAIL.NET
Tue Jul 27 17:01:13 UTC 2004

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, James Young <daddio52 at s...> wrote:
> Bidja thuk,
>
> Ni balwjais mis. I'm pedalling as fast as I can.
>
> Awiliudu Thus (Are you sure this is not some "Dizzle-wizzle"
game?),

> Jim

Hails Jim,

Ik bidja thuk, qithais mis: hwa ustaikneith (means) "dizzle-wizzle"?!

Llama Nom

> llama_nom <penterakt at f...> wrote:
>
> Hails Fredrik & Jim,
>
> --- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Fredrik" <gadrauhts at h...> wrote:
> > So, if I ask for something and will end it with 'please' I
should
> > say 'bidja'. And when i get it i should say 'awiliudo thuk'. But
> then
> > when he will answer me 'you're welcome', how is that said?
>

> Fredrik: Please = BIDJA THUK, probably before the request.  Thanks
=
> AWILIUDO THUS, rather than AWILIUDO THUK - see my earlier post
(7784
> Re: Please & thank you (Or check the end of this message)).  Some
> possibilities for "you're welcome":
>
> NI WAIHT IST - "it's nothing"
> NI WAIHT WUKTHRAIS IST - "it doesn't matter" (literally: "it's
> nothing of importance")
>

> Jim wrote:
> >Thagks to you Francisco,
>
> I was going to go with "andhaitan" and "bida." Galeika your
selection
> better.
> Bida, arman my mistakes.
>
> Andhaitan you again,
>

> Jim: The ending -an in the word ANAHAITAN is the infinitive
> inflection.  This is how verbs are usually listed in the
dictionary,
> it means "to call on".  To say "I call on" you have to replace -an
> with the first person singular ending, which with this type of
verb
> makes: ANAHAITA.
>
> The phrase Francisc mentioned was BIDAI ANAHAITAN - "to implore,
call
> on with a request/prayer".  So if you want to say "I implore you",
> that would be: BIDAI ANAHAITA THUK.  But watch out: ANDHAITAN
(with a
> D instead of an A) is actually a different verb which means "to
> acknowledge, to honour, to praise"...
>
> ARMAI MIK! = "have pity on me"
> FRAUJA ARMAIS = "lord have mercy" (this phrase is actually
recorded,
> in various corrupted forms, as a prayer of the Vandal priests in
> Africa)
>
> Other useful phrases:
>
> AFLET MIS - "excuse me, forgive me"
> BIDJA THUK, AFLET MIS THATEI AIRZEIS SIJAU - "please excuse my
> mistakes" (literally: "I ask you, let me off in that I might be
> mistaken".  Compare the Lord's Prayer: aflet uns thatei skulans
> sijaima "let us off, if we are debters")
> ARMAI MIK THATEI AIRZEIS SIJAU - same idea, literally: "take pity
on
> me if I'm mistaken"
> AFLET MIS FRAWAURHTINS MEINOS - forgive me my sins
> IDREIGO MIK - "sorry" (literally, "I repent myself")
> THANK YOU AGAIN - awiliudo thus aftra
>
> And to say "I like", Gothic uses impersonal constructions like
> English "it pleases me" or German "es gefaellt mir", for example:
>
> GALEIKAIDA IN THAMMA - I like that (literally: I am pleased in
that)
> THATA MIS GALEIKAITH - I like it (That is pleasing to me)
>
> Llama Nom

> >Hails Jim!
>
> >Here are some notes on Francisc's suggestions, and how these words
> and phrases are used in the Gothic Bible:
>
> >Lk 17,9: iba thank thu fairhaitis skalka jainamma, unte gatawida
> thatei anabudan was? ni man. "Do you offer thanks to that servant
just
> because he does what he is told? I think not."
>
> >(The form _thank_ is just an alternate spelling of _thagk_)
>
> >Grammar:
> >THAGK is accusative of THAGKS, and the recipient of the thanks is
in
> the dative case. So to say "I offer thanks to you (singular)":
THAGK
> FAIRHAITA THUS. The verb "awiliudon" also requires dative for the
> recipient, so "I thank you" is AWILIUDO THUS (dative), rather than
> THUK (accusative). This is to thank a single person - for two
people
> it is IGQIS, for more than two IZWIS.
>
> >But BIDAI ANAHAITAN, literally "call on with a prayer/request"
takes
> accusative for the person being beseeched or called upon. BIDAI is
> dative, here with an instrumental meaning = "with/using". (When the
> person is dative, ANAHAITAN has a different meaning: "to rebuke".)
>
> >(IK) BIDJA THUK "I ask/beg you" would also make a good way of
> saying "please", and appears lots of times in the Bible. As you can
> see, BIDJAN takes the accusative case for the person being asked.
If

blank email to <gothic-l-unsubscribe at egroups.com>.

> Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

>    Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
Service.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM