[gothic-l] Population Size

faltin2001 dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Fri Jun 4 16:34:39 UTC 2004

We touched earlier on the question of population sizes in Spain in
and the share of Visigoths. W. Pohl in "Die Völkerwanderung", 2002
(p. 64) estimated that the native Spanish population amounted to at
least 10 million when the Visigoths arrived, while the number of
Visigoths are in most estimates set at 100,000 (Kazanski) to 200,000.
If we assume the middle, i.e. 150,000 that would of course mean that
they constituted 1.5% of the total population of Spain. To
extrapolate from there is I think impossible. Somebody argued that
they were better provided for than most, thus giving them a better
chance to multipy, on the other hand they constituted the army which
suggests that they may have suffered larger casualties, i.e. in
507AD, when their army was reportedly greatly decimated. Similarly in
711AD they are said to have suffered great casulaties.

Cheers

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM