[gothic-l] Re: Spanish Goths

Denis Glenard denisglenard at YAHOO.FR
Sat Jun 5 14:19:27 UTC 2004

Bonjour Ingemar,

Pas de problème pour trouver des textes sur les Cagots, il y en a beaucoup sur Internet, mais en français ou en espagnol.
Il faut savoir qu'il est possible que certains de ces cagots, chassés devant les armées arabo-berbères, se soient retrouvés en Bretagne, où ils étaient appelés "cagous". Je ne sais pas s'il y a des textes en anglais ou en allemand sur ce sujet, puisque je ne sais pas comment on les nomme dans ces langues, il est donc difficile de faire une recherche.

I can try and find out more about the subject in french and / or spanish if you wish. Just let me know which of the 3 languages you're comfortable with, although my guess is that this list is largely english speaking.

Best regards,

Denis GLENARD

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Ingemar Nordgren
  To: gothic-l at yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Saturday, June 05, 2004 2:50 AM
  Subject: [gothic-l] Re: Spanish Goths

  Hi Denis,

  I would appreciate all other information you may have about these
  agotes. I have been trying to find the Visigothic restpopulation and
  their destiny after 711. It was indeed not only the little realm up
  North in Asturia I am looking for  but the rests in the former areas
  that later became French. I have had theories they influenced Cathars
  and Albingensae, or rather that their old Arian ideas later affected
  these movements.Your information they indeed stayed Arian fits
  exellent with my theories since not the whole population must have
  converted with the kings.

  Merci beaucoup pour l'ínformation de cagots. Je voudrai volontiers
  reciper plus information en ce sujet, quand je travaille actuallement
  avec le question de Goths restée et pas seulement avec le resistance
  en Asturie.

  Miquel est autres sont aussi bienvenu  a m'écriver personallement en
  Allemagne. Peutêtre plusieurs de membres  ne pas parle Allemagne mais
  nous savons au moin un autre.

  Best
  Ingemar

  --- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Denis Glenard" <denisglenard at y...>
  wrote:
  > Hi all,
  >
  > I'm interested in finding out more in the "agotes" (spanish name) or
  "cagots" (french name) who lived in the basque country up until the
  19th century.
  > Some scholars pretend they are the Wisigoths running away from the
  Moor invasion of Spain. Those who found refuge in the rest of the
  Northern mountain range were assimilated into the population, but it
  seems that the basque somehow ostracized them. They were originally
  forbidden from living in the villages, could only settle in the woods
  and could only work in wood related jobs. They were christian (aryans)
  but had a separate (small) door and benches in church. They were
  forbidden to marry with catholics and carried basque-sounding specific
  surnames (on the french side "Chrestiaa" is one).

  > This "apartheid" lasted into the 19th century when they were finally
  allowed to integrate the rest of the community.

  > Now, my question is, these people having stayed separate from the
  rest of the population for quite a long time, wouldn't specific
  "germanic" genetic markers be present in their descendants' genes ?
  Has this ever been studied ?

  > And last, what's their name in english ?
  >
  > Best regards,
  >
  > Denis GLENARD

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM