[gothic-l] Re: Cagots (how pure were the Goths?)

Denis Glenard denisglenard at YAHOO.FR
Mon Jun 7 16:51:03 UTC 2004

... surprisingly enough we hear quite often of Goths with ethnically
mixed parentage.

Well, not really surprising to find mixed parentage amongst the Goths. What ancient peoples could be said to be "pure" ?
Wasn't a typical warrior habit that of snatching women from the vanquished ?

However:

- Wasn't there a larger ethnic group dominating all others which had some specific genetic markers ?

- after roughly 4 or 500 years in Spain, living in isolation, inbreeding  (i.e. not mixing with Spanish locals), wouldn't a specific trait (genetic marker) be found in all the "spanish Goths" that could also be found in other (older) Gothic tribes ?

- assuming the two above are true, the cagots having by and large been also isolated and inbred up until late 19th century, wouldn't they share some of the older "goth" genetic traits IF indeed they were runaway Goths ?

As you can see, I use the name Goth in order to have a denomination for that people, not to infer any kind of unity or purity.
I'm not a scientist and not especially fond of arguing for arguing's sake, but I am very interested in this particular aspect of history and if some scientific light could be shed on this mistery it would greatly help modern day Cagot descendants understand, cope and be proud of their forebears.

Hope you all will excuse my ignorance and my questions.

Best regards to all,

Denis Glenard

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM