[gothic-l] Re: ASILUKAIRNUS

Francisc Czobor fericzobor at YAHOO.COM
Wed Jun 9 11:07:16 UTC 2004

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Ingemar Nordgren" <ingemar at n...>
wrote:
> --- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "F.E.J.D. IV" <visigoth at a...>
wrote:
> > I am wondering if anyone here is aware of or knows something
about the
> > word:
> >
> > << ASILUKAIRNUS >>.
> >
> > I would enjoy to hear what others may know.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > F.E.J.D.
>
> Hi Fernando,
>
> Gothic 'asilu-qaírnus' is according to Streitberger 'Eselmühle',
which
> seems to be a mill driven by a donkey going round in circle. Hence
> 'asilu´is a donkey and 'qaírnus' is a mill. In Swedish mill is
called
> 'kvarn' which definitely seems related to 'qaírnus'but the latter is
> equipped with a Latin-influenced ending -us.
>
> Best regards
> Ingemar

Just a little correction: the ending -us it not at all Latin-
influenced, but it represents in Gothic the normal ending for
nominative singular for masculine and feminine u-stems, like in
sunus "son", handus "hand", fotus "foot", *asilus "donkey" (attested,
beside the above compound, also as Gen.sg. asilaus and Ac.sg. asilu),
aggwus "narrow", aglus "difficult", dauthus "death",
fairhwus "world", flodus "flood", hardus "hard", hliftus "thief",
huhrus "hunger", etc. etc. etc.

Francisc

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM