[gothic-l] Re: Cagots (how pure were the Goths?)

jpisc98357 at AOL.COM jpisc98357 at AOL.COM
Wed Jun 9 16:10:08 UTC 2004

Dear Friends,

     I find all of the racial and genetic discussion interesting but hardly
conclusive. The Visigoths by the time they reached Spain were more likely a
confederation that included Roman provincials and Germanic allies who were allies
of the Goths from their times in the Ukraine and the Balkans.

     Is it possible that the Cagots were simply one or more parts of the
Confederation, Thracians or Crimeans or Sarmatians who simply decided to find a
home and settle down in peace.

     There seems to be a lot of speculation without much evidence, I would
think it unlikely that any of the ruling Gothic clans would have elected to such
remote mountain valleys.

     As far as doing genetic surveys to find out for sure who they were, let
the funding gods be kind to your endeavor. They will probably find that the
different Cagot settlements are quite inbred and their relationships with other
groups of Cagots may be remote.

Best regards, John Piscopo

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM