[gothic-l] Re: ASILUKVAIRNUS / G. H. BALG

llama_nom penterakt at FSMAIL.NET
Fri Jun 11 11:38:22 UTC 2004

Hi Fernando,

Here is the relavant page of Balg's glossary:

http://penguin.pearson.swarthmore.edu/~scrist1/scanned_books/tiff/goth
_balg/b0032.tiff

Actually, you can find this by typing "balg" and "gothic" into
Google!  The image is a bit small, you can just about read it, and
look up cited forms in other dictionaries if in doubt.  It says "ass-
mill", basically.

Here is the index:

http://www.ling.upenn.edu/%
7Ekurisuto/germanic/goth_balg_about.html#images

And here is the main page with a whole bunch of other useful books in
various formats, some easier to use than others...

http://www.ling.upenn.edu/%7Ekurisuto/germanic/language_resources.html

Easier to navigate is Gerhard Koebler's gothic dictionary
(definitions in English & German, etc.) -

http://www.koeblergerhard.de/publikat.html

If you're looking up the second element of the word, most people
spell it "qairnus" in the Roman alphabet, although you might
occasionally find "kwairnus" or "kvairnus", especially in older
sources.

Here's what The Online Etymological Dictionary has on the Modern
English word "quern":

quern - O.E. cweorn "hand-mill, mill," from PIE base *gwern- (cf.
O.N. kvern, O.Fris. quern, O.H.G. quirn, Goth. quirnus; Skt.
grava "crushing stone;" Lith. girna "millstone," girnos "hand mills;"
O.C.S. zrunuvi "mills;" Welsh brevan "hand mill").

http://www.etymonline.com/

Llama Nom

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "F.E.J.D. IV" <visigoth at a...> wrote:
> Dear friends,
>
> Thank you all for the wonderful reponse concerning asilukairnus.
>
> I did not see any references to G. H. Balg's Glossary of the Gothic
> Language.
>
> Should anyone have this tome, I would greatly appreciate HIS
ANALYSIS

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM